Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

14 Apr 2013

Answer to where that adder is...





and a closer look..


Sneaky little critters aren't they!


When I was a little chap of 6 months old one of these bit me!   Mind you it wasn't large like the one in the photo, it was only a baby itself.   I was on a lead at the time and the baby adder was on a piece of grass (not even disguised)...of course me being me, I thought it was a stick and picked it up....Oouch Painful Stick.    Within 10 minutes mum and dad realised it had got me, my mouth started to swell up and they could see the two puncture wounds...Straight onto the Vet and I was in with them on anti-venom within an hour of this happening.    Some dogs aren't as lucky as me, and don't make it.  For that reason there are a lot of signs up in this particular area to give owners plenty of warning to Look Out for Adders.

We have come across people who have only ever seen a couple in years of living here, but perhaps they don't know where to look.   Dad spotted this one, but then he is very good at finding a snake in the grass!

I've got mum to look out a couple of articles about them -

One here    and  the other  Here



   




15 comments:

  1. OMD there it is. We try and avoid forests if they have warning signs for that very reason. I can't be trusted not to be stupid. So glad you got to the vet on time. Can be very scary. Have serene Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snakes = eeeewwwwwwwwwwww..........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor William, good job your Dad acted so quickly. Nasty things. I'll have a read about them from Mum's links. Have to say I've never seen one myself thankfully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You Dads is so smart William!! So glads you were okay ~ nice work Dad!!
    Kisses,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't see it in the photo until you pointed it out, and it was so obvious. I'm glad you've gotten so good at spotting them. I read about them yesterday after I read your post and I would be keeping a respectable distance from them too! I'm glad William was 'okay' after his first encounter, I know many dogs aren't that lucky! Stay safe!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone. The times we have to really watch out for them is when it is sunny and early in the season. They like to laze in a warm spot you see and early in the year the undergrowth is low, so more likely to see them. Usually they do slither away if they think something or someone is about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, they are so well disguised, are'nt they. I did not realize they were so dangerous. Good of you to stay away from them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good grief - its a master of disguise! We've only been to one place in the UK that warned of adders, and thankfully we never saw any. So glad your folks were on the ball William, and got you to the vet in time - else you'd not have grown to the handsome lad we know and love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people would pass them without even realising Pat...that's what makes adders so sneaky :)

      Delete
  9. Thanks Judy...dad is very good at finding them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes!! Nasty adders. Sorry you were bitten as a pup...that's no fun! Hopefully you know to stay away from them by now.

    Elyse and Riley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...mum and dad try to make sure of that!

      Delete
  11. Yikes. Glad your dad can spot them. Hate snakes. Doesn't stop me poking my nose in everywhere where I shouldn't. Sorcha. :)

    ReplyDelete

If by any chance you are short of time mum has added a Like button for you.